Sunday, June 23, 2013

Twenty Five




We had perched her on the old, wooden stool, the photographer and I.  I stood back and watched my friend, Janet snap, snap, snap with the camera, as the flash popped repeatedly against the gray backdrop.  Out of the hundreds of frames shot in a very short time, there were so many beauties. 

The phone rang on a steamy summer day in early July of 1989.   My friend the photographer was letting me know she had printed the contact sheets that were the first birthday photographs.  I asked, "How did they turn out?"  Her humble reply was something like, "Well, I think we caught a couple of keepers."

 This one remains my favorite, all these years later.  It captures the essence of her soul.   It is a soul that is at once joyful and hesitant, confident and cautious, loving and fierce.  As a family, we have always teased her about what we called her "Minnie Mouse voice" when she's excited.  She's silly.  And sensitive.  She is sweet and kind, but look out if you hurt someone she loves.  I have watched her hold and comfort babies so tenderly, and bolt out of a chair to get in the face of someone who was disrespectful to her mothers.  When she's angry-I mean really, really angry-she can sometimes think of nothing to say other than, "NO!  NO!  This is NOT OK!"

And now nearly a quarter of a century has passed since she found her way to earth and into my arms.  She is an accomplished, brave, strong, beautiful, marvelous soul, and there is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful for the sheer stroke of luck that brought us together.  Her birthday is this week.

Happy 25th birthday to a wonderful daughter.  I love you with all my heart.


10 comments:

kathy a. said...

oh, this brings such tears of joy to my eyes!

happy birthday, beloved one. xoxoxo

teamjbl said...

beautiful post and beautiful daughter! I've always loved that baby pic too....long before I had a good appreciation for a good baby pic!

puppyfur said...

I remember this picture so well....it jumped out at me and I smiled remembering our first visit to your house when we saw it and met the beautiful child in question in the flesh. Love her, love you. Xx

Andromeda Jazmon Sibley said...

Beautiful! Happy 25th! Thanks for blogging all these gorgeous photos all these years.

jo(e) said...

Aw, what beautiful photos. Happy birthday to Wonderful Daughter!

WCGMA said...

The pride is oozing out of your words!! Such an accomplished beautiful young woman that skinny little thing turned out to be. Happy birthday Maddie!!!

Rev Dr Mom said...

Love, love, love.

Happy birthday!

robin andrea said...

Happy birthday to your very beautiful daughter. Such love!

Martha Spong said...

Many happy returns of the day to both of you!

Val said...

Ah!! 25! Happy birthday! She is beautiful.