Monday, July 23, 2012

Early Morning Sunlight



First thing on Saturday morning, before the dogs stir, before the house is awake and the southern summer heat has descended, I look over at the creature sleeping near me in a tiny bed.  Left thumb in his mouth, his right hand flung carelessly, palm up, next to his head, a halo of soft, brown curls that smell so delicious and feel so fine.  Quietly, I lean over and whisper his name, but his sleep is so deep that the eyelids don't even flutter.  I make my way to the bathroom and back, to make another assessment.  Do I have time to make the coffee?  To check my Facebook page?  I always do.  He's a morning sleeper.  The Attorney and I have our morning warm cups and a quick bite, and I trundle back up the stairs.  This time, the whisper causes the eyes to open slowly, sweetly.  Before he notices that I'm up here and he's down in there, before he knows he's wet and hungry, the sweetest smile transforms his face and my life.

Down the stairs we go where his other grandmother awaits with the dry diaper and the bottle and our day is on high alert once again.

The sun streams through the stained glass window and on to the rug where he'll play on his belly.  Makes for a fun photo-op.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful boy. Adoring grandma. It's a great combo.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

He is so beautiful. Does he know he is being raised in the house of love?

Yankee, Transferred said...

Princess, I believe he does.

jo(e) said...

Beautiful.

Meghan said...

What a beautiful boy. This is a great set of pictures. He is very strong, huh? he's really holding his chest up good.