Monday, January 9, 2012

January 10, 2012. Sixty.

Sixty is here.  I have so much.  I am healthy, happily espoused, and the lucky mother of two wonderful young women that I can call forever mine, as well as a slew of peripheral young'uns.  I have a home that I love, a job that I love, warm blankets and dry sox and clean unmentionables, every single day. 
I remember a time many moons ago when my beloved father was struggling with addiction, and I looked at his fight and thought how lucky he was.  He was lucky because many other men, of his age and without money or health insurance or any resources or a loving family, died every day from the wreckage of alcoholism.  I thought then, as I do now, that I was born under a lucky star.

So what does 60 show?  Gray hair?  Well, yes, a few.  But mostly...not yet.  Wrinkles?  Check.  I have eyelids and other part that sag are not so perky any more.  My feet tire easily, but my heart not so much.  I have more patience than I had at 50, more peace than I had at 40, more money than I had at 30, and more brains than I had at 20.  Fewer malted milk balls than I had at 10.

I sit in my den, the remnants of an afternoon fire evident on the hearth over my shoulder.  The house huffs and puffs its own warm sounds, and the deep breath of a very large dog reminds me that I am never truly alone.  The occasional car streaks by the front window, splashing up a winter rain in its wake and tearing my attention to the street.  It's late.  It's quiet.  I am content.  My breathing has slowed for the evening, my eyes are begging for mercy.  As I prepare to shut them for the night, I am met with this image.  A lucky star, indeed.



Happy Birthday

8 comments:

Val said...

Oh, Yankee, happy birthday!! My mom turned 60 six days ago. I wish you (both) all the best! Much Love--and what a gorgeous family photo!--Val :)

liz said...

Happy Birthday!!!! What a lovely post.

kathy a. said...

happy birthday, YT!

and what liz said. how can you help but have a fabulous day, when your life is fabulous?

Rev Dr Mom said...

Happy happy bd...I'll join you at that milestone in December. I hope I have as much equanimity about it as you do!

Andi Sibley said...

Happy Birthday!! I am still enjoying your blog, and grateful for that!

WCGM said...

It's a good age dear friend - and we've seen our fair share together. It's been years since I've purchased your favorite Jean Nate for your birthday but those memories just won't go away. Of all the things I forget, why not that!!

puppyfur said...

Claire, love your blog. Similar birth-parent-related things going on in this family, too, for the past 3-4 years. Difficult, but wonderful. So glad to see you and the family are well. x

The Family McCallum said...

Happy birthday and congrats on a beautiful year! I look forward to 60, I just turned 40 and life is finally calmer!