Thursday, July 21, 2011

What I'm Currently Working On

My volunteer gigs are all so different:  A daycare for kids who are HIV+, the local literacy council, the animal shelter, and an architectural preservation organization.  The boards where I currently serve are comprised of such varied types, and each board has its own collective personality.  One of them has what I would call a Cadillac budget, one a shoestring, and the other one, well...we're working on a budget.  Each one draws out of me another part of my passion.

Where the daycare, the shelter, and the literacy organization all appeal to the humanitarian in me, the architectural preservation group awakens my sense of wonder about the beauty in my city, and prods my creative self to move.  One of our fund raisers is a project where artists/craftspeople/musicians/builders/plain-folks-like-me take a salvaged door (or in my case, a window) and make whatever we want out of it.  Over the years, there have been amazing creations:  musical instruments, cabinetry, furniture.  I decided, not surprisingly, to do something with photos.  I am calling my piece, "A Dozen Reasons To Preserve" and have used 12 of my photographs of my city.  Neither of the shots of the finished piece are very good-I had to shoot them inside at night just to get the pictures taken-the project is due tomorrow.  But the pictures below will give you an idea of the thing.  These are the original window, half done, and finished.

Rough Window Before

Painted Window During

Finished Window, No Flash
Finished Window, With Flash

5 comments:

kathy a. said...

lovely! i see you included the four seasons series. :)

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love love love this!!!!

Yankee, Transferred said...

Thanks. It was fun. And yes, Kathy, that's everyone's favorite street in our city.
Thought you'd like it, Momdy.

comebacknikki said...

Wow. That is so incredibly awesome!

Susie Q said...

That is so wicked awesome.