Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Have No Photos Of A Mother's Heart

One of the things I have tried to convey over the years is my deep love for family, especially for my children.  We have been through so much in the last several years, as is the case with many parents of teens.  The teenagers, they are challenging.  And wondrous.
I turned this blog into a photo blog 2 years ago.  I got tired of hearing myself ramble on.  But today I am moved to write about a blogger whom I have never met, but who has touched me in a way I cannot describe.  Her name is Jackie and she belongs to the club that none of us would ever wish on another human being: she is the mother of a child who has died.  Jackie's handsome, brilliant, precious son, Jordan, died in a car accident in 2008, at just 19. Jordan was her first child of four-the responsible oldest sibling to whom her other three turned for companionship and example.  Is Jackie more important than the (scores of)other mothers who have lost children?  Probably not .  There is something about Jackie's writing and Jordan's story, however, that moves me with every single posting.  I feel that if Jordan had met my Older Daughter (which would not have been impossible, given that they went to college very close to one another, at 2 schools with reciprocal class privileges and many cross-campus social events) they would have been friends.  He seems like just the kind of young man that she would love.
All of our children are exceptional in our eyes.  I know that I think that my children are outstanding and a cut above.  I love the way they love each other, and the way they are tuned into my heart.  I love the way we laugh together, and how we have family sayings and stories that will live forever because of our usage and repetition.  Jackie has all of this with all four of her children, and the hole that Jordan's death has left in her family and in her heart is palpable. 
Go visit Jackie.  Lay some virtual flowers down for Jordan.  Read about this incredible young man and the family that loves him.  You won't be sorry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll go over there now.
-M.S.-

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Thank you so very much about letting me know about the blog. I will go over there now.

You know I love you and that amazing heart of yours right?!?!

Yankee, Transferred said...

Yes, Mindy, I feel the love all the time. Back atcha!

Suniverse said...

I'm heading there now.

Anonymous said...

Oy vey, so heartbreaking.

--Your sis

kathy a. said...

very heartbreaking. strikes such a chord. xoxo