Sunday, May 9, 2010

When Is A Baby Not A Baby?


My baby turned 18 yesterday.  I've never known a child to want to be 18 more than this one.  It's as if a magic switch were going to be flipped and she would be grown.
I sent her a text during the week:  "What kind of birthday cake would you like?"  Her answer, "I want my Sponge Bob cake, mama."  She has had a Sponge Bob cake every year for five years now.  I was sure she was kidding.  I said, "Are you serious?"  She said, "Yes."

This child has never called me Mama.  When she was little, I was Mommy, but have been Mom for at least 12 years.  

My baby.  My big girl.  My puzzle, my challenge, my mystery.  My love.

4 comments:

deb said...

Happy birthday, YD.
And sending love to her Mama as well.

liz said...

Happy Birthday, Big YD!!

kathy a. said...

happy birthday! i love that she wanted her sponge bob cake.

jo(e) said...

Eighteen already! It goes by so fast.