Sunday, November 9, 2008

Chicago Flower Shop


Chicago Flower Shop, originally uploaded by Yankee T.

For me, life is full of scent memories. In Connecticut and in Boston, in the 1970s, I worked in flower shops. I loved my job in Connecticut-a wonderful store with a terrific boss. In Boston? Not so much.
At any rate, just standing in the door to this store and taking in the smells brought me back 30 years to those jobs.
What I did love about both shops and jobs were the customers. I still correspond by mail with a woman who was my customer in 1974. And there I also met the child who would inspire me, 15 years later, to choose the name for my Older Daughter. She was the prettiest, brightest, most engaging child I had ever met and I LOVED her name.
Madeleine. That's the name.
(I miss you, Mad...hope Paris is treating you right today. XOXO MOM)

9 comments:

kathy a. said...

what memories! i love this post; can almost smell the flower shops myself.

Jenevieve said...

When I was a girl, I wished every night for awhile that I'd wake up and my name would be Madeleine. Just so you know.

Yankee, Transferred said...

Jen-I must admit that Genevieve was also in the running. Funny.

ccw said...

Love this post! What wonderful memories.

All your girls have beautiful names. I hope that Madeleine is having the time of her life in Paris.

Gawdess said...

gorgeous shot and love hearing your story

Jacqueline said...

I blog about flowers at www.teleflora.com/flowerblog. Check it out for decor tips, flower horoscopes and a chance to win free flowers. Best, Jacqueline

kathy a. said...

hope all is well for you and yours, yankee. xoxo

Philippine flower shops said...

Oh! what a beautiful flower shop is that? I want to go there to personally see the flowers. Wish I can have that kind of shop someday. Anyway. Thanks for sharing this post.



-fern-

philippines flower said...

Absolutely great stories good that you shared this. Anyway,we are the same for me life is full of scent memories and the flowers giving me a sweet memories,love your blog so much. Keep posting guys!

vitton