Thursday, March 6, 2008

66/365+1:First Fight


66/365+1:First Fight, originally uploaded by Yankee T.

The first fight my beloved Attorney and I ever had was in May of 2000. We had been dating for 6 months, and we drove by a Japanese Magnolia, also called Tulip Magnolia in Boston. I exclaimed, "OOOOH! Look at that Magnolia!" Being from Memphis, she scoffed at me and announced that THAT was not a Magnolia tree. "Magnolias are HUGE and have big, white flowers." I won't go into the whole argument. Let's just say it took some hard data to convince her that yes, truly, this is a Magnolia.

Spring has definitely sprung. We even have these trees here in Memphis. We laugh every time we see one.

11 comments:

Marlene said...

Funny sotry, gorgeous flowers, and HOORAY for spring!!

Marlene said...

that should have been "story". Too early for me to try and type.

Anastasia said...

you know what else is funny is that I totally just had that conversation with my mother in law yesterday. it didn't escalate into an argument but it could have. I certainly thought I was right and she was wrong. Turns out I'm wrong. I should know better than to disagree with her about flowers.

Gawdess said...

When I saw this in your flickr photostream I was transfixed - I have never seen anything like that in person.
Magnolia.
A beautiful, purple waxen cup of a flower.
Well done.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Oh that is beautiful. How do they smell?

kathy a. said...

gorgeous! i love these magnolias because there was one in full, exhuberant bloom at the place where we had our wedding. the one up the street from us now is currently showing off.

concretegodmother said...

oh my lord, that's beautiful! great angle you've taken! ...and the story is hilarious, too!

Ampersand said...

I love magnolias. I have one of these in my yard -- deciduous magnolia -- very different from the ones I grew up with in Florida, with the white flowers and the big waxy leaves don't drop for the winter.

But beautiful nonetheless. And a fantastic shot.

Rev Dr Mom said...

Beautiful.

Cloudscome said...

Yep we have those kind of magnolias too. Ours are just furry buds now. I took a picture last week of the one by our parking lot. I always try not to park under it cause they are so extravagently messy.

This is beautiful and luscious!

Moi said...

beautiful capture....i had always thought of magnolias as white flowers too!! that pink/purple is beautiful!!!