Monday, February 25, 2008

56/365+1:Born To Fly


56/365+1:Born To Fly, originally uploaded by Yankee T.


(This is the outfit my baby girl was wearing when I met her-she wore it home on the plane.)
I have always told my Older Daughter she was born to fly. Our beginning together was marked by flight-I picked her up in Texas and flew her home to Boston with me. A tiny, premature baby, at 9 weeks she was the size of a newborn: just under 8 pounds. She was a star traveler. We took a 10-seat plane from her little home town, made a connection in Dallas, our connecting flight was delayed, we were on the road for more than 12 hours. She never cried.

And such has been her life-she has traveled all over the world, with me and without me, and has loved every second. She is organized, optimistic, and hopeful in her approach to each of life's adventures. When I took her to London for five days when she was six, she packed her own suitcase, and didn't forget a thing.

She called on Wednesday. I was having a difficult day until I heard her high, excited voice chirping over the phone. "Mommy? I won't be in New England for winter next year." I knew what that meant, but I played along. "You won't, Sweetie? Why not?" "Because I'll be in Paris!" She is spending her entire Junior year studying in Paris. While I will miss her more than I can even express, I am so happy for her. She is a person for whom life's doors have burst open with the help of her own determination and good will.


I'm proud of you, OD. You have worked hard for this opportunity, and you deserve it.

18 comments:

Linda said...

That's fantastic news! Congrats to OD!

Rev Dr Mom said...

That's awesome!

Maybe you can visit....

kathy a. said...

woo hooo! what a terrific opportunity!

Not so little sister said...

I love Paris only I didn't get to spend a year there. I hope OD loves it! Sounds like a YT family trip is ahead? :)

Karin said...

What an awesome experience for her! I've only spent a couple of days in Paris, but I'll never forget it! :)

Gawdess said...

oh that is so precious that outfit and congratulations to OD!

Scrivener said...

Wow, a whole year!? Congratulations to OD! I'm with RDM, maybe you can visit. Or maybe more importantly, maybe I can. ;)

Marlene said...

What an adventure!

And looking at that little outfit brings tears to my eyes. They grow up so fast...

Ampersand said...

What a happy, happy thing to read about.

Congrats to her and her family!!

Moi said...

awww!!! that outfit made me sigh :)

I am sure you are proud of her! here's wishing her tons of good times and new experiences in Paris :)

From Away said...

Wow! Congrats to her!

Cloudscome said...

What a sweet baby she must have been! I am so happy for her - PARIS!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

YT you have helped open all of those doors for her.

Good girl! Paris...wonderful!!

readingwritingliving said...

Aww, this post made my heart go pitter-pat. What an amazing journey to see our little ones on their own, making these decisions.

peripateticpolarbear said...

I think definitely a family visit. for christmas.
or, you know, if you can't, I'll go, just to check in on her--on your behalf, of course. pain au chocolat for breakfast every day....

Anonymous said...

aw, mush.

--Sis

Anonymous said...

Merci Beaucoup Maman!
That's a great picture! Where is Shamus though? Anyways I am so excited, I can't wait until next year when I get to play tourguide. Thanks for everything mom, you're my biggest believer/supporter!
JE T'ADORE!
OD

Snickollet said...

I have been so behind on blog reading and commenting, so I'm late to the chorus. But I just want to say CONGRATS to OD. She will love Paris, and you will love visiting her. (You're going to visit, right?)

Always keeping you and your family in my thoughts . . .