Thursday, January 24, 2008

24/365+1:Early Morning Moon


24/365+1:Early Morning Moon, originally uploaded by Yankee T.

Today my father would have been 92. He died almost 13 years ago. He was not without his issues and challenges, but I loved him dearly. He called me his "co-pilot" because I went everywhere with him, and if my tagging along bothered him, he didn't express it. He was a distant man, but I was undeterred by his demeanor. I was a self-made "Daddy's girl."
When I was small and we lived outside Chicago, on occasion he would drive into the city on a Saturday to go to work. I always wanted to go, and he usually brought me. In the winter, I would put on my big puffy coat and my 50's plastic mittens with the fleece lining, and prop up in the car. I don't remember if we spoke, I only remember the early morning moon shining in the dark sky as we made our way from the sleepy suburbs to the busy city streets.
Happy birthday, Dad. I still miss you.

12 comments:

Gawdess said...

The moon isn't the only thing shining in this lovely post today.
Thank you for showing me both it and a glimpse of you and your father.

Anonymous said...

You give so much love, dear sis. I hope you get back all you give.

--Grandma Blue

KathyR said...

Beautiful photo and a sweet story. Thanks.

kathy a. said...

that is a beautiful moon. and even more lovely memories.

missing my dad, too. he would have said that your dad was a helluva guy.

kathy a. said...

* "helluva guy" was my dad's greatest compliment.

angelfeet said...

A nice way to remember your Dad. Lovely photo too.

Yankee, Transferred said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ampersand said...

Thanks for sharing your memories of your Dad. I like the notion of a "self-made daddy's girl."

Your picture is wonderful.

Karin said...

I still miss my Mom, too - she's been gone for almost 8 years now. Beautiful post. *hugs*

RageyOne said...

what a great way to honor your father.

Marcia said...

A lovely tribute to your father. Thank you.

itofoto said...

This brought a huge lump to my throat. I miss my dad, too. The story is lovely.