Thursday, January 17, 2008

17/365+1:At Your Service


17/365+1:At Your Service, originally uploaded by Yankee T.

When we looked at our house before buying it, I was fascinated by the staircase situation. This staircase and the one I posted the other day arrive at the same landing-you can see the windows with the blinds. The other staircase, with the beautiful bannister, comes up from the front room in the house. This narrower staircase with the plain pole railing on the wall comes up from a small hallway outside the kitchen. Apparently it was the "service" staircase when the house was built and in its glory in the early 1900s.
I wish I could post the interior of my house, empty, so you could see its wonderful old bones. It's big, but not at all ostentatious-just a nice old house with an almost magical feel to it. Have I said how lucky I am?

11 comments:

Linda said...

All the wood gives your house such a warm appearance. I'll bet it is a magical place.

Anastasia said...

i am fascinating by back staircases. there's one at church, a hidden passage between the church proper and a room that has a sign "women's vesting room". you've inspired me, that staircase is going to be my picture on sunday.

Anastasia said...

fascinated not fascinating. gar!

Gawdess said...

I think you make the beauty of her bones obvious in your photographs!
I like the shoes at the bottom of the staircase too.

david mcmahon said...

We can see how lucky you are. There's beautiful light there. Great house and I'm always fascinated by the history of homes.

My first visit here .....

Will be back because it's a warm, personal, welcoming blog - just the way a site should be.

Anonymous said...

I love that you're in that house. I'm sure it is all the more precious because you lived for years in apartments, crammed into smaller spaces. This fits your family nicely. It looks like a family home -- warm and welcoming, with the echoes of years of laughter bouncing off its old plaster walls.

I'm so happy for you.

Love, sis

Ianqui said...

Ah, the servants entrance (I mean, essentially, right?). How the purposes of these older houses have changed...

Rev Dr Mom said...

I love your house!

From Away said...

I like these staircase photos. Your house looks very warm, as others have mentioned.

angelfeet said...

I hope you find more staircases to photograph - you have a knack of capturing the story within them.

Sandie said...

This is like the house I grew up in. It was built in the late 1800's so it is in the same time period. I loved that house, I was very sad when my parents divorced and sold it.